Nut Allergy Alert

 

Dear Parents/ Guardians,

It has come to our attention that a child in our school, in Junior Infants, has a severe peanut and nut allergy.  This allergic reaction (anaphylactic shock) can occur through ingestion of peanut/ nut products, cross contamination and breathing peanuts in the air.  There will be an adrenaline pen on the premises in the event of the child suffering an allergic reaction. Since this condition can be life threatening, we are asking for your help in minimizing the risk to this child by a) NOT giving children peanuts in school lunches. b) NOT giving peanut butter sandwiches, other spreads containing nuts such as Nutella and snacks/ bars containing nuts or labelled "may contain nut traces" in school lunches. c) Asking children NOT to share their lunches.   Due to the severity of the problem, it is important that ALL parents carry out the suggested measures and reduce the risk of allergic reaction to this child.   

We thank you for your co-operation.

Nut allegry advice for schools (Irish Food Allergy Network)

Find out more